Article: "When everything changes: On the front lines of COVID-19"


This article from the AAMC (American Association of Medical Colleges) provides insight into the current situation on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic and highlights some of the heroic efforts of healthcare providers across the nation.

Providers are not only battling the virus, but also fatigue, a lack of proper protective equipment, and their own anxieties around contracting the virus. Nonetheless, they continue to selflessly serve each and every patient to the best of their ability.

Joseph Underwood, MD, chair of the emergency trauma department at Hackensack University Medical Center (HUMC) in Bergen County, New Jersey, describes his emotional encounter with one of his hospital's many COVID-19 patients:

"The other night I had a woman in her 60s and while I was taking her history she just stopped talking," Underwood recalls. "I paused and said, 'Is everything okay?' but she didn't answer. And then I saw her eyes welling up with tears. So I said, 'You're really scared.' And she nodded. I just gave her a big hug."

To read the entire article, visit the AAMC's website.


Comments